For all you non-developers out there that work with developers on a regular basis, here are a few quick tips of things NOT to do when the developer is working on fixing a major bug.
- Ask for attendance at a meeting which we’re not really needed at.
- Assign other work to us – we need more weight on our shoulders in these stressful moments!
- Ask for some development work to be done on another project – if we have any available time it’ll be spent fixing the urgent issue, so by definition we don’t have time to work on anything else.
- Ignore our requests for help solving the problem – it’s top priority for us, but your time is better spent asking for updates than helping…
- Send us multiple emails pointing out how serious the bug is – if we’re working on fixing it already…as fast as we can…a reminder of how urgent it is doesn’t really help anything.