Gravatar in Gmail

UPDATE: I’ve posted a new version of this script here. The version on this page no longer works.

Earlier today I hacked together another GreaseMonkey script. This one adds a Gravatar of the person the email was from to Gmail when reading an individual message. It’s inspired by the Thunderbird integration I read about here a while back. Here’s a screenshot of it for a better understanding of what it does:
Gravatar in Gmail

It’s really just a prototype honestly, but it was far enough along to make me happy for now. A couple of limitations I’d like to correct some day (if I ever get around to it) would be to modify it to work with multiple open messages and to only display the image if the email address actually has a gravatar (currently it just displays the default gravatar image in this case). It would also be nice to clean up how the image is added to the email – currently it’s a long dom navigation. I’ve posted the script here if anyone is interested in giving it a try (or updating it). Also, if you didn’t already know about it (because I didn’t) the Gmail team has built a nice little API for people developing GreaseMonkey scripts.

As always, feedback welcome.

This entry was posted in Code, Javascript and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Gravatar in Gmail

1. Pingback: Gravatar in Gmail | Bakkel dot com

2. rizal says:

really great job! \m/

3. Pingback: Gravatar in Mail | boio.ro

4. Nick says:

Hi Jon, I had to change “@include https://mail.google.com/mail/*” to @include https://mail.google.com/* to make this work with my apps account; but thanks, works great !!

5. Pingback: Aaron Johnson – Links: 3-15-2009

6. Pingback: Gravatar en Gmail | Universo Wordpress

7. Pingback: Get Gravatar in Gmail | TechRaga

8. testing says:

This is a test

9. Test says:

This is another test

10. Pingback: Google Apps and Gmail Fix “On behalf Of” Issue « Raanan Bar-Cohen

11. I'm just commenting to try out Intense Debate before I sign up. You can delete me!

12. I think people would like your blog because I once conducted searching about this topic before and people would think your points are good.

13. Zimultirre says:

Our drugstore is considered as the most trusted internet drug retailer. We have been in this industry for many years and we do understand how important quality is for our customers.

[url=http://forum.moldova.org/index.php?showuser=4089]buy Zimulti canada[/url]

14. Viper007Bond says:

Hmm, I can't seem to get this working on Google Apps or even GMail normal. I guess Google updated their UI which broke this. :(

• Jon says:

Hmm…yes. If I get some time I'll try to take a look and update
      this. If I do I'll be sure to repost something here.

Thanks for letting me know.

Jon

15. pasg says:

Wiow it's amazing ! like it ! thanks!

16. your works are very good.

17. WOW! really good script for gmail!

18. Jermaine says:

This looks pretty awesome. The Gravatar in email is genius.